Friday, January 31, 2014

Follow up advice (5 things - Week 44)

People always say that the toughest thing to do in any field is to get an opening - have the first hit, if I may use that term. But from my personal experience, the toughest thing is to handle your first flop. We have had instances of so many one hit wonders that I don't feel a specific need to create a detailed list of it. If you need one, let us take the example of this blog itself.

I wouldn't call it a one hit wonder now, but there was a time when I was afraid to write the next post because people appreciated the last one. I put upon myself such unnecessary pressures that I shrunk away from my writing. I know that that in itself is crazy, but you know me na.

And I'm pretty sure this is the case with most of the things in the world. If you are putting yourself under the scrutiny of the public's eye, you'll be forced to perform at 110%. Always. And unless you are a superhuman being, it is impossible to perform at such a high standard. And even the superhuman beings we know and adore, have come up with their fare share of duds.

Again, coming back to the case of this blog, I've been warned and advised a number of times that writing every week is suicide - that people will find most of the posts to be stale, and whatever good post that I would write in between would go unnoticed. And they have.

But do know why I still write weekly?? It's because if I don't write weekly, I would lapse back to my old habit of not writing at all, as I wouldn't want to bring forth unworthy posts into this world. The only reason that I'm writing good posts here is because I'm writing every week.

So, again from my personal experience, if I had to give you one advice this week, it would be this. If you love doing something, keep trying without fearing for the result. It might be awesome, it might be sh*t. But all that matters is that you did something you love.

***



Talking about things I love to do, one of my favorite pass times is to give advice - ask any of my friends. I won't say that each and every one of these said advices have resulted in the concerned person benefiting from it, but the successes are more than the failures. For this week, I'll be recounting five special advices that I've given and have been given to me.

1. Then, my friend said "Throw this bottle at him."

And I did. And that bottle hit 'him' in the eye. And he had to be taken to the hospital. Luckily for him, and me, there wasn't any serious damage. He had to take a week's rest with that eye, and it would come back to normal. Well, the eye did get back to normal, but our friendship didn't. That day in 8th standard was the last time I remember talking to my then best friend. It was never the same, with acquaintancial smiles and uncomfortable silences being the only thing we shared afterwards. All because I took this advice from someone as I chased my then best friend through the class for some now inconsequential remark he had made then.

2. "I think you should break it up with him/her."

This little sentence have been used by me a million times - well, maybe not a million times, but still frequently enough to make it feel like so. And I've to say, it has worked wonders. Wonders as in how stubborn people can be when they think they are in love. Deprived of the balanced evaluation a third party can offer, they, more often than not, ignore this advice. So you can't blame them, since anyone in such a situation will ignore this advice. The end result is they end up heartbroken, and I've to give the next advice.

3. "You should forget about him/her. He/she was never good for you."

This is often delivered with a hint of "Told you so.". But this is one of the worst situation you can be in. You are happy at being proven right, but it is your friend who is sitting in front of you heartbroken. And so begins the healing process - the fifth stage of love.

*There are seven stages of love. It's a post I'm working on. Hopefully, it'll be seeing daylight soon.

4. Said my friend to me, "You look like him and the storyline matches too. You should make a video like this."

The actor was Salim Kumar and the video in question was 'Palavattam' by Vineeth Srinivasan and co. A casual remark was taken at the face value of an advice and the video 'Pinneyum Palavattam' was born. The story behind it has been recounted here already. The video is given below.



5. The last one would be "Ignore what he's saying. If you want to reply to him, send it to me and get it out of your system."

Not the best advice I've given, considering I had to hear an earful for somebody else's action, but still it had to be done. Two of my good friends were having a very public war of words on an online forum, and this was the only way I could find to stop them from humiliating themselves in front of the public. Like I said, not the best advice from me.

***

And so, just to let you know, I'm here in case you need any advice.


***

Well, that's it for this week.
You all have a great weekend.
'til next week.

No comments :

Post a Comment