Friday, January 3, 2014

Call me CRAZY and let me be (5 things - Week 40)

Uhh...

Where do we begin??

Ermm... Yes.. Of course.. Let me just wish you a (belated) Happy New Year. I hope that great things find you this year. And when/if they don't, I hope you have it in you go out and find them.

So... Now what?

Well, last week's blog post got a comment from a dear friend of mine that this blog has "matured" over the year. I keep matured in quotes as it is, generally, a relative term - mainly, because by the time my next post comes around, I would have reverted back to my immature levels (that post should be out in three days!!).

Coming back to the topic of maturity, in the days gone by, if a person showed signs of having maturity as well as immaturiy, he would have been labeled crazy. Nowadays, you just call them "Bipolar". If you have a friend you can't avoid couting the number of steps on a stair/arranging a playlist in its order, you say that they suffer from Obssesive Compulsive Disorder.

For the want of a better subject, I'm just going to list off five such "disorders" that have afflicted the current generation.

1. Mysophobia - Fear of germs. To be put it correctly, an almost irrational fear of germs. I've a friend like this. He wouldn't have you within one feet of him, if he could. He'll involuntarily back away if you sneeze. He'll kick you out of his house if you say that your friend at office has a fever - like I said, it's an irrational fear.

2. OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Like I've already mentioned before, having a keener, persistent sense to establish order in this chaotic world is now being termed as such.

3. Social Anxiety disorder - Again, another fancy term for something which you easily have called 'introversion'.

4. Bipolar disorder - I believe that the Schrodinger's cat was responsible for the creation of this term. Until then, having the faculty to be able to be at two states at the same time was a one way ticket to the mental asylum. It still is, but get a cool name for being so.

5. Selective Mutism - Before it became selective mutism, the ability of a normal person to lose his faculty of speech in certain situations/in front of certain people used to be called "Stage fear"/"Shyness".

Selective Mutism at its humourous best!!
***

These are fancy terms, brought out by people who are afraid to call a crazy person a crazy person. And I hate them - not just the terms, but the people also.

I've an uncomfortably large number of friends who take pride in being called crazy. You could say that the biggest compliment you could give to him/her, is to just call him crazy. Not in public, mind you. But if there's one thing we would like you to do more than that, then that would be to stop trying to change us.

So, my dear friends, call me CRAZY and let me be.

***

Well, that's it for this week.
You all have a great weekend.
'til next week.

No comments :

Post a Comment