Friday, July 18, 2014

Observation Skills (5 things - Week 68)



You must have read a crime novel? A movie based on a crime novel perhaps? A TV series based on one? "Yes" to any one those?? Very good. That means that I won't have to explain too much about what I'm going to say next.

In a typical criminal investigation, you'll be paying close attention to all the minute details - just as any competent detective would. The thrill of going through the fictionalized account of any crime investigation is the quest to solve the case by yourself, before all is revealed. And for this a keen sense of observation is required.

But that is not the kind of observation I had in mind. In that scenario, the detective (as well as the you) knew that you had to observe. It was your duty to observe. But what of the eye witness, who in the fictionalized account, willingly provides a near accurate description of the convict?? Would you be able to do that in real life??

Would you be able to describe the person you met in the elevator today?? I set the date to today to make sure that it is recent. I set the location to an elevator to make sure that there aren't that many distractions. I set the number of people in the elevator other than you to be one to make sure that you would remember at least the gender of the person. If you didn't use an elevator today, you are welcome to change the situation to any you came across recently. Just try to visualize that person.

So, how well did you do? What will be your reply to "Can you describe him to a sketch artist?" ?

I don't know about you, but I would reply "NO". More often than not, I'm never paying any attention to such details. I would make a very bad eye witness (that is not an invitation for the criminals among you to take advantage of this trait of mine).

Thus we come to the topic for this week's 5 things - "Observational Skills". Here are the common and not so common observational skills that I've come across in my life.

***

1. Vayinottam

If you know Malayalam, you would have understood where I'm going with this. "Vayinottam" [pronounced wa-yin-nno-ttam] is literally "looking at mouth" and it is anything but that. This is an art form which every guy (and even though they'll never accept it, every gal) knows - the art of appreciating the opposite sex. And what better way to appreciate than to observe. Observe them at the bus stop, at the park, at the movies, at any public place. If it goes beyond that though, it becomes the next thing I'm going to describe.

2. Stalking

When you extent your observation's focus into the private moments of an individual, it's called Stalking. But when we talk about stalking, we only think about the physical act of following a person around. In those circumstances, the stalked usually files a case and the court slaps the stalker with a restraining order, making it an arrestable offense to be within a certain distance of the victim. [I don't know if anything like this exists in India - the restraining order, not the stalking. Please let me know if you know something about it.]

In this digital age, there's another kind of stalking. This stalker will be at his portal to the internet, following whatever the stalked is doing in their online incarnations. Tell me how you stop that kind of stalking??

3. Songs

We automatically pick up the songs we like from the chaotic audio waves that reach our ear drums. That is one incredible ability to observe in all human beings.

4. Rear Recognition

How do you normally recognize a person? From their face, their voice, their body posture, their walking style, their fashion style or something unique to them, right? Such uniqueness leaves an imprint on our mind, which helps us to recognize them the next time we meet them. Well, I have a friend, who is as good at rear recognition as face recognition. If you don't get what i mean, then you are probably PG-13 rated.

5. My favorite thing

That would be football. I'm sure you have your own obsession too. And it would be no surprise to see us picking the subtle things that happen with relation to our obsession. I for one enjoy to observe, dissect and appreciate the delicate nuances that gifted footballers showcase on the pitch. I'm sure that you enjoy something similar with respect to your favorite thing.

***

Are you wondering about the cause of this blog?? Well, I've been going to the temple in front of my house continuously for the past 146 days. Yet I failed to notice the new three foot picture of Ram, Sita & Lakshman. That was kept right at the entrance yesterday. But I noticed it only on my way out today. Apparently, my observational senses kick into action only in specific circumstances.

Well, I did some research online and found a few sites which try to help you to develop your skills of observation.

http://www.wikihow.com/Sharpen-Your-Powers-of-Observation

In case you are interested to become the famous sleuth from 221B Baker Street, visit the following site.

http://lifehacker.com/5960811/how-to-develop-sherlock-holmes-like-powers-of-observation-and-deduction

So, let's test your observations skills now shall we?? Look at the below picture and evaluate yourself. Hope you didn't have to read to observe properly. :P



***

Well, that's all for this week.
Hope you have a great weekend.
'til next week.

No comments :

Post a Comment