Friday, January 17, 2014

Putting on and filling out (5 things - Week 42)

August 2013

There was this factory outlet near our office that we always wanted to go to. And so finally, after months of dilly dallying, Nishanth and myself found ourselves inside a John Players showroom. I had already decided that I wouldn't buy anything, since my wardrobe was full, from stuff I bought five years ago. [Yes, I can't stop using my old clothes. Yes, I can't bring myself to let them go either. But that is a whole another story.]

Coming back to the one we are in right now, Nishanth was confused on deciding between which two of the three chosen shirts he would buy. It was then that the shopping assistant told us that we could get the whole thing for half their price, if we were to buy a fourth garment. Nishanth didn't want to buy more than three shirts. He didn't want to look like a nouveau riche on a shopping spree. He looked at me with pleading eyes. Now, you would think that this is where I would relent and buy something stupid just to make up the numbers. Sorry to disappoint you though, but this was not one of the many times when I went as an advisor to a shopper, and ended up spending more than him/her.

Anyway, Nishanth ended up trying on a formal pant to go with the shirts. And that is when an unwelcome truth hit him. Over the two and a half years that he had spent at Gurgaon, he had gone up two pant sizes. And like any good friend, I made sure that I would remind him of that fact whenever we met for the whole of next week.

And during that week, I was both happy and sad, knowing that I had never had a situation like that. I was sad that I had become stuck at a weight of around 65 kgs for the past 10 years in my life. I was happy that I could eat anything without the guilt of putting on weight. And it stayed like that. Until last Wednesday.

***

15th January, 2014

I was getting ready to go out. And I thought about giving my jeans a break, and to use the formal pants. I hadn't used them since I left work early last month. So, I got them out and tried them on. And to my horror, I found that I could barely make the button hold- which meant only one thing. I GREW!!!

While before I failed to fill about one inch of the waist size in my size 32 formal pants, currently I'm finding it difficult to envelope myself in those same constraints. I guess one full month of proper meals three times a day, interspersed with a multitude of snacks, have finally forced my fat repelling body to be not so fat repellent. A pleasant and cool weather, broken only by the occasional rains, have helped in keeping me rooted to my seat.

All these and much more, have helped the onset of what must be that phase of my life, when I'll finally begin to grow laterally. Wish me luck!!!

***

1. When I was born, I weighed nearly 4.5kg - pretty heavy for a baby. And in over two and a half decades, I was only able to expand it by a factor of 14.44 times. Don't bother reaching for your calculator, it comes out to about 65 kgs. And I'm yet to gather the courage to go to near a weighing machine. I'm afraid it'll show 65 kgs even now.

2. Some of my relatives are claiming that the said increase in weight is all down to the fact that I'm more at peace with myself now, since I've moved back to my hometown.

3. The fact that I don't exercise much these days must also have played a huge role in securing the services of these flabs of fat for my body. Please don't get me wrong. It was not like I used to exercise an hour everyday. But these days the most physical work that I do is moving around the house. Coincidently, most of these movements are my trips for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacking etc etc. So you can guess how much calories that effectively burns.

4. This whole scene is a throwback to the onset of puberty for me. I'm discovering something new with my body. No, not that you naughty one. I was talking about finding these flabs of fat. It is like when I was 14 and found stubs of hair on my face and I thought, 'Finally, I can have my own moustache and beard'. It is a similar dream come true now - but of non-skinny arms and less prominent cheek bones.

5. Last, but not the least, I would like to thank my parents for the sincere efforts they have been putting in to make this happen finally.

***

So the next time you meet me, don't forget to ask if I've put on weight.


***

Well, that's it for this week.
You all have a great weekend.
'til next week.

No comments :

Post a Comment