Friday, November 22, 2013

Leap of Faith (5 things - Week 34)

We are in the best years of our lives right now. The years between the ages of 20-30 (give or take a few years at the boundaries) has to be the only time in our entire life, when our mind is willingly open to any, all ideas; and our body is right now rugged enough to handle the implications of trying out those crazy ideas.

If you ask me what is the latest crazy idea I've gone ahead with, I would say it was resigning from my job two weeks ago. Not just a job, but the job I've put three of my best years into, so that I can make a career of it. And I was finally beginning to get the rewards that were due to me at work.

I have the confidence of my seniors; I am being handsomely compensated financially for my efforts; I know the place and its workings inside out, so that I can confidently walk in their with my head held high. I had made the safe, secure and successful career that I had set out to, when I came to this city 40 months ago.

Through all this, I was successfully carrying out the motto of being "Better safe than sorry" - something which I was taught from a very early age. To say that I was always afraid to take a risk would be putting it mildly. People who have played any kind of game with me would know that even though I can be competitive, I would never take a risk that I feel is unnecessary.

But then comes a moment in your life, when you have to question even the basic foundations on which it is built. And so, due to one unforeseen circumstance which I had rather not discuss here, I found myself at a cross road. I had to choose between my career and my personal satisfaction. I could keep continuing like I've been doing till now - trying to further my career. It would have been enormously easy to do so.

But now, I'm re-thinking my life in terms of what I want from it, rather than what I'm supposed to get out of it. Society has this habit of letting you know that you are not following the conventional path. It sends out its doomsayers to remind you that you'll end up a failure - that whatever you have done in your life till now will be wasted because you are going to do what it says you shouldn't do. They don't say that, maybe, just maybe, that you are right - that what you've been doing till now was wasting your life, and this decision might make you better.

Now, I'm re-thinking my life. I've had enough of being safe and being in my comfort zone. I'm ready to make decisions that seem plain stupid - heck, they might actually be stupid. I'm willing to put myself and my new found ideas and ideals against the objections of society. I fear no one, but myself. Because the moment I regret my decision, I would lose this battle.

This decision to resign was partly forced upon me by circumstances, but being the eternal optimist that I am, I have found the silver lining in these dark clouds. I am being more spontaneous that I've ever been - making up plans as I go along.

But I can't see where these plans would lead me to in the future. Society has defined a meaning for the word 'successful'. I know pretty well that my probability of being 'successful' in those terms are very low now after this decision.

But I'll happier. No matter what happens, I'll be content with the fact that I bought this onto myself. I'll be safe in the knowledge that it was not an act of destiny or fate, but an act of man - a whimsical act. An act which currently has opened up a world of possibilities to him.



My predecessors have termed such acts as taking the 'leap of faith'. It takes a lot of energy, courage and convincing to make the leap. But once you are in the air, you'll know that taking the leap was the easy part. The hard part is to land safely.

***

I hope that you noticed that I changed the title sequence again. This series has gone from "5 things I learned this week" to "5 things for this week" to just "<Title of blog> (5 things - Week <no>)". Don't ask me why. I haven't thought it through.

Anyways, as for the five things for this week, we'll have a few songs that are currently at the top of my playlist. They are all English. So if you are not into hearing them, sorry. But give it a try. There are a lot of things to enjoy in these musics - the music itself, the voice, the lyrics, the video, the artists. ;)

So, here we go.

1. "Time of your life" - Greenday



2. Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows - Lesley Gore



3. "Good Life" - One Republic



4. "Wake me up" - Avicii




5. "Counting stars" - One Republic



In the last song, there is a line which holds true for me now.


"....Said no more counting dollars

We'll be, we'll be counting stars..."


***


In other news, I finally got to writing out my mind weekly post. "Right next to her". I think you can guess what happens in that, but do read it if you haven't.

And that's all for this week. Don't forget to rate this blog at the bottom of this post.

You guys and gals have a great weekend!!
'til next week.

No comments :

Post a Comment