Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Duh!!

I'm going to be the umpteenth person to voice his opinion on this topic. But since you are already here to read, and since I've already started to write, why not go ahead and discuss "Artifical Intelligence".

But don't worry. I'm not going to bore you with a technical discourse on fuzzy logic, control theory and mathematical modelling - because I'm confident of my abilities to bore you without resorting to technical stuff. :P

As with almost all of the topics that are covered here, this too came out of a situation that stumped me at first. We were watching TV the other night, when the show we were watching introduced this actress as the special guest for the day.



She had acted only in a few Malayalam films till now, but what made her popular was this show on the channel "Mazhavil Manorama". Like I said, no one was able to remember the name of that show. By instinct, my hand went to unlock the screen of my smartphone, so that I could google my answer. It was at this point that a friend of mine asked me a disturbingly valid question,

"What is the need for googling all the answers? We used to watch that show every week. Can't we at least try and remember it by ourselves?"

I couldn't find any plausible reason to not do what he said. And that thought process is what spawned this post. With the plethora of intelligence enabled devices available to us, it is no surprise that we are being slowly converted into their slaves. The usage of Artificial intelligence is harming the natural one.

With the advent of affordable smartphones and inexpensive mobile internet, information about the world is literally at everyone's fingertips. So, if I had to find a word to describe the mobile internet as "cheap" in the last sentence, all I had to do was to google "cheap synonym", so that I'll get to know that "inexpensive" can be used in its place. If I had opted not to access that portal, I would have had to spend a significant amount of time thinking about it.

But, the fact that you can successfully search for an answer in your smartphone prohibits you from using your own intellect. The mind of humans are like light in that respect - always going for the shortest path. And knowing that the chance of finding the answer on the web is 100%, makes it an all too enticing option to pass on.

When I was introduced officially to a calculator in my eleventh grade, my father told me that it was a bad idea. I had to use a calculator as I had to tackle bigger "problems" in lesser time. But my father was right in saying that it'll diminish my own calculating capabilities. The more I leaned on using calculators, the more I found it hard to calculate simple arithmetic operations by myself.

It's in plain sight, to anyone willing to observe, that using such devices makes us dumber. But I am not going to go around advocating a ban on the usage of smartphones. Let me give you an example of why it is good too.


This happened when we were watching a Tamil movie on TV - "Mankatha". There was song sequence, where the protagonists were driving around in the vehicle shown above. I liked that van very much, and said so too. A friend of mine had this to say to that,

"That is the Volkswagen Camper. It is one of their more famous brands. Now, only one factory produces it in the whole world - in Brazil. This is because Camper doesn't meet the safety regulations imposed by many countries. The Brazil factory will also stop production by the end of this year."

Now, at first, everyone was amused to find him giving so many "facts" about a scene we saw for about five seconds. I, being me, challenged him to prove that he was right. I said, "I'll believe everything you say from now on, if all of this is true?"

A quick google search ended up with me accepting defeat. He was right about the Volkswagen Camper.

So this tool can be used to verify facts. But it can do more than that. It can help us learn new facts. This friend of mine was similarly attracted to the vehicle when he saw it at first. So he did a google search and learnt more about it.

And with the advent of affordable smartphones and inexpensive mobile internet, information about the world is literally at everyone's fingertips. You can learn as much as you want.

***

And to come back to that actress and that show. Ten minutes after I had laid down to sleep that night, I had my EUREKA!! moment. I flew down the stairs and into the room of my friend who had inspired me to find the answer by myself. And I said, "Marimayam. It's Marimayam."

And then I danced around the room like a kid who was promised a toffee if he could add 2 and 2 correctly.

I could leave you with that image in your mind. But I ain't that cruel. I'll bid adieu with this quote.

"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." - Albert Einstein

No comments :

Post a Comment