Friday, April 26, 2013

5 things I learned this week (Part 4)

Another week cruises by, and we are here again, as I recount to you 5 things I learned this week. This is sadly not going to be themed like last week, but like the earlier hotch-potch versions. So, let's begin in earnest, shall we??

Did you know...

1. ...that interest rates on loaned money in developed nations is less than 5 percent??

I found the following explanation and found it to be satisfactory. Tell me what you think about it.

"India is a developing economy which requires more funds for the investment purposes, so Government looks at more savings by Public. When more interest rate is offered by the RBI to Commercial banks and Commercial banks to Public, then Public will be interested to deposit their money in the banks and hence more savings. When banks offer higher interest rate for the deposits by the public(say 9%), then the same banks lend money(loans) to the people at higher interest rate (say 10% to 12%, comparatively more than interest on deposits). The same is even applcable to the developed economies. But, those countries are having enough funds so they'll not pay more interest on the deposits like in India. And in contrast they'll not charge more interest on the loans also like in India."

2. ...that Gurgaon without malls is like life without maals?

You can't find a decent apartment in Gurgaon without searching for months. You won't find the normal city restaurants in Gurgaon. You can't have electricity and water at all times in Gurgaon. But drop a coin, let it roll, follow it, and there is more chance of you arriving at the entrance to a mall than not.

All jokes aside, Gurgaon has malls - a lot of them. The MG Road here has some 10-15 malls on both sides of the road in a 2 km stretch, a few of them only finished partly. But when my parents told me that Kerala's Cochin had the largest mall in India, I had to accept defeat.

3. ...that the "MG" in MG road in Gurgaon is not for Mahatma Gandhi?

Indeed not. MG road in Gurgaon is the road that connects Mehrauli in South Delhi to Gurgaon city. And the M and G in the road initials stand for the name of the end points of the road, not for the father of the nation, as is the case in other cities.

4. ...that today marks the sixth month since I tore my right ankle ligaments?

Doctors said that it would take 6-12 months to heal completely. I'm still waiting for that to happen. I tore mine while doing a turn on the ball while I was playing football. It might seem complicated, but it actually was me stopping the ball with my right foot, and trying to turn a 180 degree. I heard 2 "tick tick" sounds, and fell down in a heap of pain. Bad things happen to you just like that. But the eternal optimist in me wants to believe that the Grade II ankle sprain, and the 2 weeks of enforced rest, saved me from some bigger trouble.

P.S. I started playing football again, 3 months after this injury.

5. ...that today is also the that shall be know as the day my designation reached the level of my qualification?

If you didn't know, I'm an Engineer by qualification. And today, after nearly 2 years and 10 months after qualifying as an Engineer, I got my second promotion at work which made me, from Assistant Engineer, an Engineer.

If you fancy another read, yesterday I wrote about what's there in my wallet, which you can read at 
http://husemeplz.blogspot.in/2013/04/whats-in-your-wallet.html

That's all from me for today.
Have a great weekend.

4 comments :

  1. Congrats on your promotion !!
    And all the best for your FB exile !
    FYI : Interest rates in Singapore is around 4%, and it helps a lot for our student loans!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much....
    btw FB exile made it to 1 month yesterday... my target has been met..;)
    btw thanks for that info about Singapore.. I didn't know about the interest rates there.. this week, a junior here was telling me about student loans in USA, and that's how i got to know..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to add my view against point no 5; Indeed we have passed our course examination long ago but the practical understanding and developing point of views towards engineering issues/problems required time. Since almost none of engineering colleges in India offer updated laboratory/workshop, industry backed experiments, even our syllabus is "expired" by international standards. Hope it gives you something else to write about

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely try to write something on that sir.. The lack of work oriented study material in our college curriculum is appalling.. That is one reason why I feel like I've earned this title over 3 years.. I can honestly say I have ENGINEERED something.. But still, when my peers at other companies start at this level, I am entitled to feel a little discriminated..

      Delete