Friday, April 19, 2013

5 things I learned this week (Part 3)


“Oh Shit!!!”

That is the thought that first enters my mind, when I look at the time and see that its 4pm on a Friday, and I still haven’t started on this week “5 things I learned”. But, like for anyone else working in a corporate world, a deadline is nothing new for me. I’m closing in on three years of work experience, and looking back, the whole “experience” has been about meeting the current deadline, and then the one after that..

It might seem sad if you think about it in a one-dimensional way – working like this is like dangling a carrot (salary) in front of a donkey (me) so that it keeps moving in the direction that the master (company) wants it to. But if you are someone like me who thinks that work is only the means to make your life better - something which you do for 8 hours a day so that you can enjoy the other 16 without a fear or tensions - then the one-dimensionality of earlier analogy is something you wouldn’t mind.

The first thing I promised myself, when I decided to take the “work your ass off” route over the “study your ass off” route, is that I would never determine or evaluate my life based on my work. I’ve always tried to ensure that the “experiences” at work, and the ensuing frustration, be never allowed to spill over the thin wall that separates our personal and professional lives. It hasn’t been easy – under valuation in contribution to project, over looked for benefits, post-dated increments that is barely sufficient – a lot of such factors has made me want to crack open that wall, but it has held strong till now, and hopefully, forever.

Anyways, time to end the digression and meet the deadline. I’m going to theme this week’s new knowledge on “Time”, and I’m going to confess that I’m going to use the twin sisters of Google and Wikipedia to make it happen. So here goes something…

Did you know…

1. ...that the time we usually refer to in the hh:mm:ss format (called the metric system) is not the only one?

There are other formats like the hexadecimal and decimal formats. The decimal format is easy to understand. Instead of saying that it is 4:30pm, we say it is 16.5 hours. The hexadecimal format is a lot more complicated. For those of you intent on reading more about it, here are the wiki links.

2. ...that a one minute kiss burns 26 calories??

Now, there’s a way to burn off some fat in a sexy manner. Who’ll want to go to a gym if that is true? I say that cause you can’t believe half the stuff you read on the internet, and the other half are blatant lies.

Anyways, more of such quirky facts are available at http://www.did-you-knows.com/did-you-know-facts/time.php

3. ...that the name of the world's largest circulating weekly news magazine, with a readership of over 25 million, is related to today’s theme??

No points for guessing the name though. :P

An extra fact regarding TIME magazine is that they are said to possess a distinct writing style, attenuated by the use of inverted sentences. If you don’t know what inverted sentences are, let me give you an example. Only after reading this sentence did you become aware of the structure and usage of inverted sentences, ain’t it??

4. ...that “for every minute spent in organizing, an hour is earned”??

Oh if only I knew that before, I wouldn’t have such a short time to meet my deadline. :D
Anyhow, such phrases including the word “time” are there in common usage. Here are a Top 10 such phrases complied on the internet...


By the way, read through that, read points 4 and 5 twice, then have a sly, wry smile on your face, if you saw what I just saw... ;)

5. ...that I love the old style of English, where the usage of now defunct words and a now dormant style of sentence structure, made sure that everything that is written and said, is epic to say the least?

And here is a quote in that style, by Mr. Benjamin Franklin in “Poor Richard's Almanac” about time to end this week's proceedings on this post.

“Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that’s the stuff life is made of”

Have a great weekend!!!

P.S. Earlier today, I posted a completely random post, titled "A Random Post". It's about some random things you in life, and how it..... Why should I spoil the fun for you?? Go ahead and read the original post at http://husemeplz.blogspot.in/2013/04/a-random-post.html

No comments :

Post a Comment