Friday, August 1, 2014

Of pearls, biriyanis and more (5 things - Week 70)

Hello and welcome to a brand new weekend. This time from Hyderabad. Yours truly, in the course of the flow of his life, is being temporarily accommodated in the city of pearls. Being a part of a top secret mission, I'm not at the liberty of discussing the purpose and aim of me being here. Though I think the fact that I've already mentioned my location would be detrimental to my mission.

Leave that all aside. Here are some of the stuff I came across on my wanderings around this city.

ok.. it might just be another flower market. But it has such a vibrant feel to it.

that is by some distance the BIGGEST chandelier I've seen..

who doesn't love an old style Royal Enfield.


Let's talk about this city now. First off, this is not my first time in the city. I was here some five years before as a part of the "industrial visits" that are part of our B.Tech curriculum. I can't for the love of God remember which company we visited then. But I do remember the main tourist places of the city we went to. Surprisingly, I don't have any residual impression of the city. So, arriving here now and taking in the sights, it felt like I was here for the first time.

I'll have to say that even though I was impressed by the multitudes of flyovers and underpasses and an under-construction metro (these imply heavy traffic which is a sure sign of progress), and the phelotra of brands having multiple outlets across the city (these imply that the people have more money to burn than is necessary), I was a bit let down by the general level of craziness that is enveloping the city.

Believe me, I know crazy. I had been at Delhi far too long to not know proper craziness - the tangled roads, the long stops at red lights, the rule breaking auto-mobiles, the unkempt roads, the mix of people from a variety of ways of life, etc etc. But then again, it was proper craziness. That means that it was within a limit.

I don't know whether it's specific to the locality that I'm at, but Hyderabad is yet to show that it is of the proper craziness type. And I remember that this was my first impression of Delhi. Heck, it is the first impression I have of any city than my own.

P.S In case you are wondering, I'm yet to find a city as good as my Thiruvananthapuram.

So, I'm going to give this city what I gave Delhi. A second chance. Over the weekend and beyond, I plan to go around the city, visit more places - tourist and other-wise - and then I'll pass my judgement on where this city comes in my "List of favorite cities".

So, where am I going to go?? Well, those places are the "5 things" for this week.

P.S. I'll be using the words from wikipedia to describe the places I haven't visited before. So, a thanks in advance to the many unseen hands spreading knowledge throughout the world.

***

1. Char Minar

The Charminar, built in 1591 CE, is a monument and mosque located in Hyderabad, Telangana, India. The landmark has become a global icon of Hyderabad, listed among the most recognized structures of India. The English name is a translation and combination of the Urdu words Chār and Minar, translating to "Four Towers"; the eponymous towers are ornate minarets attached and supported by four grand arches.



2. Snow World

I've been here last time around and what an experience it was. For a reasonable price they let you into a room which will be kept at around -5°C for the next hour or so. If in the September of 2009, someone had told me that it would be a good training programme for braving the cold winters of Delhi I would have to face from December 2010, then I wouldn't have got out of the room a good twenty minutes before.

3. Golkonda

Golkonda, also known as Golconda or Golla konda ("shepherd's hill"), a ruined fort of Southern India and capital of medieval Golconda Sultanate (c.1518–1687), is situated 11 km west of Hyderabad. It is also a mandal of Hyderabad District. The region is universally famous for the mines that have produced the world's most famous and coveted gems, including the Hope Diamond, The Eye of the Idol (aka the Nassak Diamond), the Koh-i-Noor and the Darya-i-Noor.



4. Ramoji Film City

Well, what can I say about this magnificent place. I could write a whole post on the things I saw at this place when I visited it last time around. You'll feel that much closer to the glamour and inner workings of the movie world. Last time around, we were oblivious to the photo opportunities at the place. But equipped with better equipment and more intent mindset, we'll be setting out to get enough profile pictures to last the year.

5. Dum Biriyani

I typed those words and I'm already salivating. After having lots of "imitation" Hyderabadi dum biriyanis - from Trivandrum to Delhi - I'm hoping to have my first taste of the real stuff in the city of its origin. Hopefully, it'll be worth the name it has.



***

Hopefully, next week, I'll have first hand pictures from all these places. Of course, it'll be all be selfies. I'm going mad on selfies these days. But that is for another post.

***

So, we were roaming around this city and we came across this. The BIGGEST MEGA SUPER DUPER BLOCKBUSTER HIT in Malayalam cinemas in recent times, "Drishyam" was recently remade and released in Telegu. And here's one theatre showing the same. Don't be mislead by the lack of crowd - we arrived at the premises after the evening show started. Don't ignore the superlatives I used for the movie - I know it might have come across as sarcastic. This movie is that good.

P.S. You can always watch the movie it was "inspired" from - Perfect number.


***

All pictures of the city are courtesy of Roshin's Photography. Go on. Visit the page and view the visual treats he has to offer. He clicks the most beautiful of clicks using just his mobile's camera.

***

Well, that's all for this week.
Hope you have a great weekend.
I'll be here missing my lovely Thironthoram.
'til next week.

No comments :

Post a Comment