Friday, August 15, 2014

It's not as easy as it looks (5 things - Week 72)

I know I know I know.

Today is our Independence Day. And the entire nation just celebrated it with renewed vigour, as we have always seen over the years [This is the 68th year of Independence.] But if you are here hopeful of reading another patriotic prose, well, let me redirect you to two of our previous articles - from last year's Independence day and from this year's Republic day.

Happy Independence Day!!!

As for today, I don't feel any compelling reason to write an article on India just because it is our Independence day. I don't want to set a tone of patriotism which is visible only on National Holidays. That is not to say that I didn't take part in the celebrations today - I proudly walked with my head held high and a tricolor pinned onto my shirt.

But that is not to say I don't have any patriotic message to share with you. I've shared the following video multiple times with you, and I am not going to stop now. Go ahead, watch the silent national anthem and get your share of patriotic goosebumps.



***

As our last week's guest post writer found out to her amusement, churning out a bit of prose within a time limit is not an easy task. "It's not easy as it looks." - her words, not mine. Those words spurned me onto thinking about other such stuff which we think is pretty easy, but actually requires a lot of hard work, patience and dedication.

And so, for this week's '5 things', we'll be having a look at five such things.

***

1. A working Mom

I don't think I will have to explain too much about this. A working mom, who wants to balance her career and her family, without losing any important moment in both is really a miracle in execution. I've had the chance to meet quite a few such women and I take my metaphoric hat off to them.

2. Begging

Ok. Surprise inclusion alert. You would think how come this is in the "not as easy as it looks" category. Let me tell you something. Human emotions can drive them to do crazy things. The feeling of hunger is one such emotion, the effects of which are many. We've heard stories of people stealing food and/or other items to make sure that they have a morsel of food to sate their hunger. But the chances of them turning to begging to get some money to do the same are not many. You know why?? To do that they would have to let go of their ego, their pride. But I guess it is easier to do something illegal than to do something which hurts your pride.

3. Keeping a class of students in discipline

The only opportunity I got to teach a class of students was way back in 2006, when for Teacher's Days, the 12th standard students would come and teach their juniors. Suffice to say I wasn't successful in keeping them quite for the half hour or so alloted to me. You have to respect and admire the teachers who can keep a class in check with only a glare.

4. Crossing the road in Hyderabad

a. Look Right.
b. Then look left.
c. Look Right again.
d. If there's no immediate incoming traffic, cross the road.

The way I was explained the rules of crossing the road were found to be naive at best when applied on the roads of this city. After almost three weeks in the city, these are the self formulated rules on crossing the road that I've to share with you.

a. Look Right, gauge the number and speed of incoming traffic.
b. Look Left and do the same.
c. Repeat the previous two steps until you can find some sort of rhythm to the traffic.
d. Find a herd waiting to cross the road (or at least one co-crosser) and stick to them, if you are not finding any rhythm.
e. Make sure that your legs are ready to perform the sprint function as soon as the command is issued from the brain.
f. As soon as you find an opportune moment, start running across the road (flailing your arms at this juncture is a recommended procedure to attract attention of incoming drivers.)
g. If you are not in a pool of blood, you've crossed the road.

You would think that it is fairly simple, but that was for crossing a one way road. I'm yet to write it down yet, but the alphabet series would be insufficient to jot down the rules of crossing a four way junction in Hyderabad.

5. Finding Love

We've seen it a thousand times in the movies and the books. The protagonist finds his/her complimentary soul in the easiest of manners. All they have to do is to be at the right place at the right time. Unfortunately, for the less-protagonist souls among us, this doesn't happen, ever. I can say with full conviction that finding love is not as easy as it looks.

***

I know I know I know.

After publishing the guest post last week, I did promise you that I would write a post myself. But I wasn't able to. All my creative resources were effectively employed elsewhere. At the end of the day, I wasn't able to bring myself to sitting down in front of the laptop and to give you some food for thought.

Keeping all that aside, I would like to give you my word that I'll be publishing the second part of my 'Leap of faith' series next friday. The jump I made during November 2013 reaches it's landing point over the next week. And in the next post, I'll describe to you how it felt to take the jump from "what I am", then to be caught high up in the air, then about getting swayed left and right in the winds, and how I pinched the bonus point, before, hopefully, landing safely at the point of "where I want to be".


***

Look forward to this space next week then.
Have a great weekend!!
'til next week.

No comments :

Post a Comment