Friday, April 25, 2014

Weddings Happen too (5 things - Week 56)

Well, as per the reports, and the pictures, that I was able to gather, the Wedding last week went off great. And the after effects have begun to present themselves. Within a day of the wedding, both the culprits were found to have changed their profile pics in Facebook to the SAME PICTURE. I'm not saying that it is a crime, but I never expected them to become this single-minded so soon.

I was actually planning to award them the 'Least irritating Happy Couple I know' rolling trophy, but just because of this act, they will have to share the trophy with it's previous owners - Mr. and Mrs. Gulf. I think the story of my first meeting with the Gulf family warrants a separate post, and hopefully that'll find its place here soon.

Anyways, here's something for both the happy couples.


Talking of happy couples and weddings, there seems to a lot of that when I open my facebook page these days. Engagement notifications, marriage invitations, 'in a relationship' statuses are aplenty these days. And it is to be expected at the very least. Afterall, the average age of my friends will be around 25 years old. As per convention and/or tradition, that's the soon-to-past-prime-age for girls and the soon-to-hit-prime-age for the guys.



But in between all this, the most interesting thing is something else entirely. As perfectly explained in the above image from TWISTEDDOODLES, I can only think of them as they were, when I last interacted with them. And that varies from last week to last decade. That would be at a time when they could be called immature. And marriage is said to be the institution which pushes you into the realm of maturity.

This is the period in their lives when they are supposed to change from being the young, unbridled guy, laughing at typos and fart jokes; to the serious, calculated mature person, who talks about news and other boring stuff. This is the period in their lives when they are supposed to change from being the gal on the lookout for earrings which match with the design on her sandals, to the one who smiles and treats the guests at their home to delicious delicacies, while talking about the latest development in that serial they all watch.

And so, you won't be surprised if I find it more than amusing at how these friends of mine will handle the added responsibility of being a spouse. For this week's post, we'll go through a few special characteristics of those immature friends from the past, who are already at/on the cusp of something wonderful.

***

1. Immaturity

First up is the one thing they must say goodbye to as soon as possible. If, in an unfortunate turn of events, their spouse had also forgotten to say goodbye to this malaise, then it creates unnecessary tensions at home. Maturity, here in such a situation, will be the ability to accept the immaturity of the other, understanding that it is only so, cos of them being impetuous. Maturity here will be the act of trying to help the other get away from their immature behaviour.

2. Patience

More than showing patience for their spouse, their reserves of patience would be severely tested after they have kids. I've seen enough examples already. But I guess that is not something they've to think about so early in their married life.

3. Craziness

Don't confuse this with immaturity. Being immature is not a choice. It's a part of the journey of life. It's only by being immature that people understand the value of being mature in their life. But being crazy is a choice. You know what you are about to say/do is not sane, but you still go through with it. And it's the transformation of the truly crazy ones among my friends, which has left me baffled.

4. Chalu/Poor Joke

Come on. Tell me that you have one friend, who hasn't, in all of their life, cracked a poor joke, or as we Keralites lovingly call it, CHALU. And these friends of mine will have to bid goodbye to this part of their life.

5. Personal Space

There are people out their who value their personal space way too much than required (YES I MEANT YOU!). And I'm extremely eager to find out how they will react to having someone with them 24/7.

***

On top of all these, there are tons and tons of things you have to get along with and find a common ground for. In the wise words that Mr.Gulf shared with me,

"In Marriage, everything is a potential problem. From the amount of sugar in the tea to the speed of the fan in the bedroom. It's all about adjusting and adapting. And the best thing is when you see your other, accommodate for you too."

***

Before I sign off today, I've a little request. And before that request, I would like to thank you for reading and promoting last week's post so avidly that it broke into the Top 5. But even as ironic as it seems, I didn't like that, only because of one reason. The post it replaced in the Top 5 was the 'THE LAST POST'. Those of you who have read it must know the emotional attachment I have to that post. It was the way a grandson found closure after his grandfather passed away suddenly.

I've gone on record many times saying that it is the best prose that I'll ever write. And my request to you, in case you haven't read it, is to read it once more, and allow me the guilty, satisfying pleasure of having it back in the Top 5 here also.

Here's the link to that post.


Well, that's it for this week.
Hope you all have a great weekend.
'til next week.

No comments :

Post a Comment