Friday, April 11, 2014

Hangover (5 things - Week 54)

So the absolute lack of research on my part was brought to the fore by last week's post. I had ended that one with a question "So, why is there no reservation or quotas in the selection procedure for the Lok Sabha elections?"

Well, apparently there is a reservation quota for the same. And it was to this information that I awoke to on the previous Saturday morning. For those among you interested in knowing the quota split up, more details can be found at this link.

Anyways, coming back to the present. I had been postponing the "special" edition of this post for some weeks now. I'll give you my word that it'll be on this site in 100 hours. And I'm not gonna break that promise, even though I wouldn't put it past you to doubt me, since I made a similar promise last week too.

Well, I'm at a loss of words right now. No, it's not writer's block like always. It's another peculiar phenomenon. I was finally able to carve out some time today to go watch a movie - "Ohm Shanthi Oshana". And this movie is the current cause for the lack of words.

I believe all humans have the tendency to view things from the most recently acquired perspectives. Let it be a book, a song or a movie - anything you've emotionally invested in. These make us take a partial view on all things. It's a kind of hangover, if you may allow me to call it so. And it is under this phenomenon that I'm right now.

I can't even remember the points that I had gathered to share with you for this week. So, I'm gonna go for a spontaneous combustion, with some quick fire points I've gathered off the net.

***

1. Some conterversial  math problems can be found here.

Like how can you prove that 0.9999 = 1.

Let x = 0.9999...
10x = 9.9999...
10x - x = 9.9999... - 0.9999...
9x = 9
x =1.

Hence, we've proved that 0.9999... is equal to 1. If you are still not convinced, you are welcome to question the basics of mathematics.


2. "To invent your own life's meaning is not easy, but it is still allowed, and I think you'll be happier for the trouble."

To get a comic book style representation of the above statement, visit this link.

3. 2048

If you ask me how I spend most of my time this week, it would on that site. A 19-year old developer, Gabriele Cirulli, made that game over a weekend. And it has got the world hooked on to it. The target is simple. The logic to solve it is simpler. The only constraint you've is the limit of your concentration. One slip up, and you've to start from the scratch. And I'm warning you - IT'S ADDICTIVE.

4. Z-Type

Not as addictive, because it's harder to execute, but still a damn good way to improve your typing speed.

5. A question for you.

Three of us went to have lunch. We all ordered the same thing, each Rs.25; and paid the same. But the owner decided to give us Rs.5 discount and sent Rs.5 back with the waiter. The waiter thought that it will be hard for us to split 5 into 3, and being a nice, straightforward, truthful person, pocketed Rs.2 for himself and returned Rs.3 to us, from which we took Re.1 each. This reduced the net share to Rs.24.

So that's Rs.24x3 = Rs.72 and there's Rs.2 with the waiter. Total is now Rs.74. But we gave Rs.75. Where did the one rupee go??

***



***

That's it for this week.
You all have a great weekend.
'til next week.

No comments :

Post a Comment