Friday, October 18, 2013

5 things for this week (Part 29)

Would I be believed if I were to say that I had a total change of 8 kgs in my body weight over the past two weeks? 5 kgs down in the first, then 3 kgs up in the second.

Okay. So, I could have said that I lost 2 kgs in two weeks, but I don't think that would have given you an idea about how fast I lose/gain weight - even though it never seems to go above 65kg or less than 60kg. According to the 'expert' opinion from a friend, who is more concerned about such stuff, 60kg must be how much my bones weigh. I would like to say that's not true, but it's a hard fact to look past.

So, getting back to my fluctuating weight, as you might have heard, I lost 5 kgs due to the dengue/typhoid/jaundice week I had at the beginning of October. The week after, which I spent in the care and nurture of my home, I gained 3 kgs. That is a huge, considering that I was allowed only to eat light foods, meaning no junk food, no mix-boil-n-serve kinda things, no meat, no oily food - you get the idea na. I basically had to be a veggie, and that too a sad kind of veggie.

I couldn't eat the really good veg foods, cos they all are fried or non-light. So, you can maybe understand my astonishment at the fact that I could gain back more than half of what I lost on that diet.

And this week's 5 things will be the 5 types of food I had/have. They are the staple items you'll get in a Southie vegetarian restaurant.

So, shall we begin??

Did you know that one of those food items...

1. ...was kanji?

Okay. I'll make a sort of confession. This food item is one of the many nicknames that I've got. Kanji, in proper Malayalam, refers to rice porridge. It is basically rice cooked, and served with the water it was cooked in. It is highly nutritious, easy enough to make, and three of us lived off eating it for dinner one year straight. And it is to this reason that I have got this name. Not cause of the slang meaning that the word has got - cheap.

That meaning stems from the fact that this is the food eaten by people who don't want to spend much on food. In our case, this was the dish which required the least amount of time to prepare. So, I repeat, I was called this cos I ate this a lot, not cos I'm cheap.

And no, this is not my usual way of saying the opposite so that you'll not believe in the correct thing. I really love kanji, and that is why I'm called so.


I know it doesn't look that good, but it's great once you start eating it daily. 

2. ...was Idli?

Now, this most of you will know. The Idli/Idli mix that you get in the north only has rice ground into a paste, but the actual Idli has dal in it too. It gives the Idli its softness. My recommendation to you - go to a Tamil Brahmin veg restaurant and order yourself a plate of Idli. You'll love it.

that's what I'm talking about baby..

3. ...was Dosa?

Again, something you know and have heard of. If you can't be arsed to make Idli, put on your frying pan and start making the Indian pancakes. The variety of dosas far exceeds the limit of human imagination. I have had the simple plain dosa, and also something which had chicken stuffed into it. But if you ask me which is the best variety I've had, I'll have to say the thattukada style dosa. Thattukada is what you would call a road side dhaba in the Kerala. You'll get dosa, chutney, sambhar, vada and omelette, if they serve veg. If they serve non-veg, you'll get almost anything there.


thattu dosa.. enough to get your taste buds flowing..

4. ...was Appam?

Now, this must be a novelty. This is another kind of pancake, again made from rice. But this is something with a completely different taste to it. I guess this is something which is resident only to Tamil Nadu and Kerala, so you won't probably get it anywhere else. But still, in case you get a chance to try it, don't let that chance pass you by.

look at those crispy edges and soft centers; and tell me you don't find it inviting..

5. ...was Puttu?

This is also something you'll find only in the two aforementioned southern states. Again, this is something you should not miss if you get a chance to devour it.

those long rod like things.. that the puttu.. the rest are the possible side dishes..


***

So there ends my list. But, this is the list of main dishes only. If you go into a restaurant serving these and order one of them, you have done only a quarter of the work. You still gotta choose one or more side dishes from the list that the table boy will be reciting; most probably in the same speed that you will usually find someone saying the alphabets. So sharpen your ear, and pay attention. You don't want to miss any possible combination.

As for me, I'll have to continue on my light diet for a few more weeks, after which I can get down to the actual business of eating these with their side dishes - these days, I'm getting by on sugar as the accompaniment.

Well, that's  it people.
Have a great weekend.

'til next week.

No comments :

Post a Comment