Saturday, January 17, 2015

Resolutions (5 things - Week 94)

3 pm on this Saturday afternoon has myself sitting here on the bed. Yes, I’m one of those to whom a bed is not just a place to sleep in. It is someplace where I spend more than one third of my day, and hence, I prefer to bring some variety into the proceedings.

Anyways, as I was saying, I’m sitting here and searching for a topic to ponder about for today. I found some and now I’m going to let you choose from the following three options.

A. Food items from Delhi that I miss – because I had aloo paratta this morning and it has made me nostalgic.
B. Five words from English – because I am too lazy to go out and find some new stuff to write about.
C. Resolutions which have petered out – because I think it is a nice topic to talk about.

So, as you have decided, Option C is the way forward. I like the way you chose what I wanted to right about. And we will wait no longer and we’ll go straight into five not-necessarily New Year resolutions of mine which didn’t see February.

***

1. Personal gym

I’ve had friends going to the gym since I was in school. And I can say with pride that I didn’t bow into peer pressure. I chose to keep away and be my skinny, unhealthy self. But when I saw a senior at work bulk up over two months, prior to his marriage, in order to look good on the big day [and maybe for the night that followed that day], I realized that maybe I would have to do the same. So, as part of my New Year resolution of 2013, I decided to buy myself some weights and practice with them at home. Now, you might be thinking why I didn’t join any gym. I was too lazy to go through all those repetitions that the trainers force you to. I wanted to be control my exertions and be able to stop when I want.

And as I found out, I stopped soon enough.

2. Learning French

It’s very useful to learn a foreign language, said someone. And study German if you are going to because most of the good engineering companies are based in Germany, and it’ll give you an advantage. So, I decided to go and study the French language. Even though I was ready to invest my time into it, I wasn’t sure of investing financially, especially because the rates were so damn high.

So, I found some site on the internet which made you meet with people from around the world who wanted to learn some language, and in return they would teach you the one they know. I listed that I wanted to learn French, and listed English, Hindi and Malayalam as languages I knew.

One fine day, I got a mail. So, this lady from Canada who knows French wants to learn Malayalam. And more interesting was that she sent me the mail with snippets of it written in Malayalam. She had more than a basic control over the language.

We tried to make the mutual study work, but our time zones meant that either one of us had to way up early or stay up late. So we dropped the idea.

3. Writing something everyday

This was a middle of the year thing. One fine day, I decided that to force myself into writing, I’ll try to write something daily and publish it. You can see the ruins of forced semi-literature at http://thedailylore.blogspot.com/.

4. Watching Mindless TV serials

I meant stop watching mindless TV serials. Well, this was taken late last year. And thankfully, since I didn't stop watching them, I have one more point to add in this list.

5. Reading something everyday

You are supposed to pick up good habits from your better halves. So, I tried to pick this habit of all this year. And sadly, I can’t make sure that I read at least one chapter from a book every day, before I go to sleep. I need to binge read a book. I can’t consume it in installments.

I wonder how she does it though.

***

So, that's all for this week then. 
Have a great weekend!! 

'til next week.

No comments :

Post a Comment