Saturday, January 24, 2015

Glad to be up here (5 things - Week 95)

Well, that was an eventful week. So much has happened/is happening that I don't know where to begin. I finally overcame my fear of having roadside food. After the Jaundice attack of Nov 2013, there was a conscious decision from my side to stop having roadside food, as we can't sure of the source from which they are gathering the water they use. I kept the thought of questionable water fountains to one side and really enjoyed the bhel chat that I had on Wednesday. And there's no complaints of any kind, up until this moment.

Another thing I was reacquainted with this week was Information overload. Having been trained in the ways of absorbing such situations over the course of my engineering degree, I was subsequently involved in the process of de-learning the said techniques over the past four years. So, I hope you will be sympathetic to me when I make it known to you that I was subject to this apparent torture of Information overload.

At some point in time, the concept of information overload must have been dealt with care. It was a signal of danger, the execution of which might push a person over the edge. After all, there is a limit to the amount of matter that a person can mentally digest. Then, as the amount of information a person is supposed to know grew, grew the need to fill the vessels that much faster - by vessel I mean our empty heads.

With the penetration of technology in our daily life, the concept of Information overload has gained another perspective. If earlier you had to force someone into Information overload by making them sit for hours in a classroom, the tech products we use these days have made us willing subjects for the same procedure.

Even though Google brings only ten links in the first page when you search for something, the concept of getting lost in the various links on the multitude of pages must not be an alien concept to you. You start your journey searching for "How to make dumplings" and after an hour or so, you might be trying to understand the reasons behind the strained relationships between China and Japan.

In case you are wondering what kind of Information overload I was subjected to, I'll say that it was of the good kind. We had an exercise this week, in which each of us had to speak about a topic of our choice for five minutes or so. In the course of various discourses, I was glad to be at the receiving end of many a nugget of information - stuff that I couldn't wait to share with you over here. A feeling which brought back to me the original purpose of this blog - sharing what I learned this week.

So, that's exactly what I'm going to do. Hope you are ready for a classic "5 things I learned this week".

Shall we begin then??

***

1. Time bank

This was a concept shared by a friend of mine as he spoke. When you are born, you are given an account in an universal bank, which keeps track of the amount of time you have left in this life. There is no question of credit from any source, and there's a perennial debiting procedure going on. And you can never know what's your exact balance. The worst bank in the universe, right?

Well, we can't do much, but go with the flow. Everyone is subject to the same rules. We should just make sure that every second is used in the best possible manner.

2. Respect

The concept of respect is pretty much known to everyone. We have been told since we were little that we have to respect our elders, our seniors, our friends. But this friend of mine, who spoke today, had the opinion that there should not be any eligibility criteria in giving respect. No matter who is in front of you, it wouldn't hurt you one bit to give them respect.

3. Water flows from the sea to the river. Wait. Whaaaat!!??

Mind blowing right. Well, I knew that there's this theory of big bang, which resulted in the present universe. And that the universe is constantly expanding even now due that explosion which took place eons ago. What I didn't know was what would happen once the effects of the explosion would fizzle out. This friend of my mine came to speak about the same, and he shared the opinion of certain eminent scientists who feels that once the energy of the initial explosion is completely decimated, there would come a point in time, when time would start flowing back. That means that in that universe, I would be born by the procedure of death in this universe, and I would die by the procedure of birth in this universe. Weird, huh??

4. The science behind the customs

One of the best things about having non-south Indian food is the customary presence of a sweet dish at the end of the meal. And yesterday, one of my friends here had chosen to speak on the topic of the science behind Indian customs. I am planning to put through his entire content as a separate post, as it demands at least that much. Anyways, the reason about giving sweets at the end is to slow down the digestion process. And that is why we are usually asked not to eat it at the beginning of the meal.

5. Memories flash by

I've have to take credit for this one. I was lying on bed, feeling a little bit nostalgic about college days, when I realized that, no matter what, I couldn't make my mind play out the past in one continuous stream of images. It always has to be shown in flashes. An event which took hours to happen in the past, will be revisited by you now in a mere fraction of a second. Guess what they show in the movies are not real after all.

***



I haven't done an epilogue in ages, and today is good as any day to restart. I gave my speech today, and it was interesting to me because I got a feeling of how this conversation of ours is playing out in your mind. I chose the topic of "nothing" and chewed on ten minutes of my colleagues time with that. So, basically, it was like what I do here in the blog. I was able to view firsthand the reactions that I get from people. And I am happy to note that it is what I expect more often that not. Thank you for being such a wonderful audience.

***

So, that's all for this week then.
Have a great weekend!!
'til next week.

No comments :

Post a Comment