Monday, February 10, 2014

Best of the unwritten (5 things - Week 27)

***The introduction was written two weeks back. So, if you would keep that in mind, THAT'D BE GREAT***

If you were to look to the left of this space, you would see the list of the 'Top Ten Posts'. The condition for making that list is to steadily garner views on the site, so that you can displace one of the present incumbents.

The 5 things post from last week, 'Salute' has been steadily climbing up the list, and at the time of writing is sitting at second position. I am extremely thankful for all the positive feedback I've got for it. It sure does mean a lot to me. That was a post which had been laying around in my mind for a long time.

Speaking of the unwritten, there are about 10 odd subjects I have wanted to write about for this series, but still haven't got around to yet. And I am yet to fulfill my promise of writing the 27th post in this series, which I missed, having gone down with a case of Jaundice. Well, today's your lucky day. I'm trying to make things right for both of them by combination. This post is going to be about the better topics I've not written about yet - THE BEST OF THE UNWRITTEN.

***

1. Nicknames

The earliest nickname I remember someone give me was 'Lake superior'. There's a story behind that. They were holding this quiz during a free hour when we were in 7th I think. And the answer to some question was Lake Superior, and I happened to answer it correctly. But the way I answered it got me a nickname that stuck around for a few months. Lots have followed it since - some long standing ones like 'Kodakambi', some memorable ones like 'Harisa', some mocking ones like 'Kanji', some endearing ones like 'Melman', etc etc.

There is a story behind each and everyone of that, and they'll be worth a blog some time in the future.

*Kodakami literally means the metal structure of an umbrella. The idea behind it was that I was as thin.

2. Sachin

The idea for this came around at the time HE retired from the game. There has been enough written about him, by people far for qualified, that I don't think a regular factual post from me was required.

It is said that the whole of India waits with bated breath when this LEGEND walks out to bat. My idea was to note down what I was doing when he reached certain milestones. Like how my friends and myself waited in the college, while he hit the first ODI double century. We could have gone and watched it live, but I had said we would jinx the innings by watching it live. Not taking a chance, my friends kept me prisoner there, and I thank Sachin for hitting the 200, as that ensured that I wouldn't get crushed to pulp.

3. Cricket

Talking about the game, I recently played 'Odd or Even' at a funeral. That wasn't meant to be insensitive, just that the source of the idea was that. This 8 year old came up to me and asked me if I could play the game, as he didn't have any company.

This got me thinking about the various non-conventional, mostly non-physical ways we use to play cricket. Odd or Even, ABCDEFG, Book cricket make up the non physical ones, while one pitch and the personal variation that our college batch made to one pitch, the Panchara Cricket make up the others.

4. Train memories

It might seem blatantly narcissistic, but even though I lived 3000 miles away from home, I had not travelled in a train in a long time. That was until a few weeks before, and it got me thinking about all the wonderful memories the train has given me. There's 'Rocking me to sleep', 'Eating whatever comes along', 'Reading books on the long journeys' and more. 

5. Fashion Disasters

If you have seen me, you would notice that I don't care much about the way I dress or how I present myself. There has been a long line of Fashion Disasters from yours truly, none more spectacular than the first tshirt that I bought. It had three cuttings across the chest, and inside was a red cloth. The look it gave was as if I was recently slashed by the Wolverine. I still can't understand what compelled me to buy that tshirt.

***

And it is a tight finish. The 10th of February ends in 20 odd minutes and I've just got through.

Now, I just hope I'll be able to complete the two posts I'm supposed to finish for the 14th. Wish me luck.

'til later then.

No comments :

Post a Comment