Friday, August 9, 2013

5 things for this week (Part 19)

I just got off the phone after talking to a special person. Even though he is just about two years old, he has become a maverick at home, wooing and amusing all who are there with his antics. In between his calls of "Maama*!! Maama!!", he was trying to tell me about this cooker he was playing with.

*Mama is Uncle in Malayalam

I'm told that his reaction to the cooker is rather amusing, and depends entirely on the place where it is resting. All places bar the stove means that he is the master - he can lift it up, throw it around, bang it on the ground, play with it for an eternity as it may seem.

But when the said cooker is placed on the stove (the stove hasn't to be lit; it just has to be there on the stove), you won't find him within 10 feet of it. He'll seen hiding behind the curtain on the door frame, trying to sneak a peak of whether someone is going to move his "toy" into a more non-hazardous area.

Even if you try to take him near to the cooker, he will start getting agitated, screaming "Shoo!! Shoo!!", referring to the obnoxious sound that emanates from his favorite toy.

After he got bored with talking to the phone which sounded like his Maaman, he started asking my mother to take him back to the cooker. So, my mother gave the phone to my father to cut the call.

As I was saying my regards, I heard something in the background. Cries of "ALLAH HO AKBAR!!!" from the mosque near my home. Since my blog this week is themed on "ISLAM", with it being Eid, you might think that this is suspiciously convenient for me, but I think of it as nothing more than a happy coincidence. A sort of "you are doing things the right way" signal from someone above us.

Coming back to the cries that I heard, I still remember the early mornings I used to have on exam days. Roughly two and a half minutes after I had snoozed my first alarm, I would be jolted out of my half-sleepy state by this cry ringing out clear and loud from the mosque nearby. It was God's alarm to remind me that I had about two hours to mug up some more so that I don't face more problems than necessary at the exam.

Living at a place which was two minutes away from a temple and a mosque meant that I never thought of people from other religion as something different. I didn't need someone to teach me the customs and practices of people from other religions are different to mine. I observed as much in my daily life. I believe that this is a far better tool to make us less bitter in the inside.

I've been always been horrified at all the hate I've heard about, and recently seen, towards this particular sect of our fellow denizens. Like I said before, maybe it's because I've never thought of them as any different to us.

If we are going to blame a community for the doings of a few among them, then think of all the things that the earth will be blaming on the seven billion of us living on her.

If we are going to retaliate on the whole for the act of a few, then think of how you will protect yourself, if all the animals in the world retaliated for the cruelty hurled upon them by a few.


Most of us would have seen the above picture in some social networking site, and had a laugh - if not at the apparent stereotyping, then at the levels to which humans have degraded themselves to.

I know it is hard to change the views that you have had for years, but I think if you can be a bit more lenient in your thoughts and words, then this world can be a better place for everyone here.

"There's already enough hate in this world without you adding to it."

It's a cliche, but such cliches exist because we can't seem to follow what it says.

So, as my little step towards fostering an amicable relation towards the followers of Islam from the rest of us, today's "5 things" will be about the customs, practices and rituals of Muslims.

Shall we begin then?? Alrighty then.

Did you know...

1. ...that the religions of Islam is based upon the "Five pillars of Islam"?

They make up Muslim life, prayer, concern for the needy, self purification and the pilgrimage. They are :
  1. Shahadah (belief or confession of faith)
  2. Salat (worship in the form of prayer)
  3. Sawm Ramadan (fasting during the month of Ramadan)
  4. Zakat (alms or charitable giving)
  5. Hajj (the pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in a lifetime.

2. ...that Muslims fast in the month of Ramadan because they feel that it brings them closer to God?

In the month when the Quran was revealed, Muslims all over the world fast from sunrise to sunset. They abstain from eating, drinking and conjugal relationships for that time over a period of month as a penance. This carries a significant spiritual meaning for them. It teaches one the principle of love: because when one observes fasting, it is done out of deep love for God and to learn self-restraint. Also, this enables them to feel compassion at the plight of those who are less fortunate than them.

3. ...that the Hajj is the largest gathering of people around the world every year?

As a part of the "Five pillars of Islam", it is the religious duty of every able-bodied Muslim, who can afford to, to go for pilgrimage, at least once in his or her lifetime. As a part of this, millions of believers folk to the city of Mecca, Saudi Arabia to fulfill their duty.

4. ...that a believer must pray five times a day?

This prayer is the cries to the God that I heard as I grew up. Called Salah, this ritual consists of repeating a set of prescribed actions and words. Obligatory salah is prescribed at five periods of the day. These are measured according to the movement of the sun. These are: near dawn, after midday has passed and the sun starts to tilt downwards / Noon, in the afternoon, just after sunset and around nightfall.

5. ...that the Muslims believe that Jesus is a prophet?

Now, before I cause any unnecessary controversy, let me make my point clear. If you would be kind enough to click on that link you will read the following,

"Muslims believe that God had previously revealed Himself to the earlier prophets of the Jews and Christians, such as Abraham, Moses, and Jesus. Muslims therefore accept the teachings of both the Jewish Torah and the Christian Gospels. They believe that Islam is the perfection of the religion revealed first to Abraham (who is considered the first Muslim) and later to other prophets"

(and an extra one for today)

...that the food at Muslim wedding is unbelievable?

Unbelievable because of the variety of dishes served. Unbelievable because of the taste of the served dishes. Unbelievable because of the amount of the dishes you would treat yourself to. You have to go to one to understand how good it is.

Another surprisingly convincing thing in this blog will be that my neighbour (who is a Muslim) is getting married on the 15th of this month, and as my luck would have it, I'm at home from that day for my second vacation of the year. You would think that I would now go on and gloat about me having a non vegetarian feast on the day I reach home, but no, I won't do that.

Why?

Because I'm a vegetarian on Thursdays.

Why?

I'll tell you some other time. I'm now off to buy a toy cooker.

See you all next week.

Have a great weekend!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment