Friday, August 2, 2013

5 things for this week (Part 18)

Something happened last Tuesday. It could have been Wednesday for all I know, but since the event happened during the night when I was lost in sleep, I didn't check whether the hour hand had gone beyond the 12 hour mark or not.

The incident itself was not that big a thing. My fan - the one which provides me with circulated wind, not the one who stalks me - made some weak explosive noises, followed it up by some ghostly moans, and then went about its usual business of being always on the move, rotating endlessly. Even though I was awakened from my slumber, I was too lazy to open my eyes to check out what had happened. Actually, I didn't want to open my eyes and be able to see the "ceiling fan dropping down from the ceiling onto you" nightmare become a reality.

So, I laid there, and lulled myself back to sleep in the cold draft that the villainous machine was producing.

It was only on Wednesday evening that I found out that the explosions and noises from the other night was with regards to the fan blowing its capacitor. To those of you in the dark regarding the electrical miracles that happens in this small machine, the capacitor is required for the starting of the fan. As you would have inferred already, I was left with a defective fan. I decided to get it fixed.

But deciding is one thing; being focussed about it is another; and the actual act of getting things done is Herculean.

You see how this ends up for me right??

It's been three days, and I've been consistent in finding trivial, but convincing reasons to not get it done.

  1. "It's raining. How can I go out now?"
  2. "I'm an Electrical Engineer. I shouldn't be asking a electrician to do this. I'm gonna do this myself...... right after I finish watching this movie...."
  3. "Aahh!!! Leave it. I'll do it tomorrow. It's not like I can't live without it."
  4. "So I've bought a capacitor. Seems like I'll have to do this now. But, where do I put this in? I think I'll go and call that electrician. But maybe after taking rest for some time. After all, I'm tired from going out to buy this capacitor."
  5. "I think she'll be coming online today. Which sane man will go after fixing a fan, when he has a chance to do something better?"
[Don't you worry. Those are not the "5 things" for this week.]


This is on top of the fact that I'm currently sleeping in the hall on a sofa, which is five and a half foot long. This leaves my head and feet hanging out of its two ends, giving me cramps when I wake up every morning. I used to sleep by 11-11.30, but since I had to shift into the hall, I don't sleep before 12.30, because someone would be out there talking/doing stuff.

You see, even the physical discomforts I've had to face aren't stopping me from being who I really am. So, who am I?

Just kidding!!!

I'm a Procrastinator - one who religiously follows the below mentioned universal principle as dictated by the laws of Procrastination.


Now, to put this whole saga in prespective. I told you last Friday that I was going to do a back-to-back blog fest on Football.

I didn't.

The irony is that I spent the weekend playing FIFA instead of completing the blog. And then, I "procrastinated" over the whole week, making sure that it is as it was before - a half finished blog. And it joins the not-so-elite club of over a dozen blogs, who are still waiting to be completed; some of them, for more than a year.

So, this isn't me giving you an excuse/explanation for not writing that blog. This is just what I thought as I brooded over the ever growing "Drafts" section in this blog. This is this week's theme - Procrastination.


So, let's begin shall we??

Did you know...

1. ...that we procrasinators are not that easily mended?

Society has always been about efficiency and maximization and hard work in every sphere of life. So, procrastinators have always been held in contempt. We have people imploring us to be better since forever. From Horace in 65BC - "Tear thyself from delay" to Elizabeth Kubler-Ross in the 20th century - "It is only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth - and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up - that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." 

They've all tried to eradict what one among them called is the gravest disease to inflict man kind. But even today, among the people out there, there are more procrastinators than not. Why so, you ask? Because being lazy is awesome!! And easy!! :D

2. ...that I'm on African time?

Before any racially charged thoughts start filling your mind, how about you click that link?

This "time" isn't dependent on a race/region. This is what you can call a lifestyle, adopted initially by some people in the African continent. The lifestyle is heavily based on Procrastination. It includes "the more leisurely, relaxed and less rigourously scheduled lifestyle found in African Countries".

But be careful of where you use this word. In the current phase of its expansion, the English language uses this phrase as a derogatory term to describe those people who are inherently incapable of meeting targets/deadlines/appointments.

3. ...that "Prevention is better than cure" is something we are strongly against?

Last week, one of my friend fell down from the bike, and got a big enough scratch on his right arm. Instead of taking him to the hospital, we decided to do some home medicine - rub some dettol on the wound and then forget about it.

In two days time, it made my friend very aware of its existence by swelling up and leaking pus. We then took him to a doctor, who went on to perform what can only be called a medically approved torture on it. He poured various burning liquids on it; started rubbing on the wound like you would rub on the stain on the plate which refuses to go away; poured some acid on it; and topped it off by applying Betadine.

Needless to say, the Hemophobic me almost went into a Syncope. (That is me going all medical on you!!!)

The moral is "Prevention is always better than the cure". But no use saying that to a procrastinator.


4. ...that there are fifteen instances of the word "Procrastinate" in this whole blog?

Now, why is this so important. It is just to show you that even though I'm a procrastinator, I can be arsed to do more. I wanted to check how many times that word was used in this blog. But instead of using the "find" option to ease my task, I decided to "challenge" myself by counting it one by one. And I arrived at this number. So, it's not like all hope is lost in our case. We can be made to do work. But there should be rewards and perks - like having a mutually acceptable amount of cash transferred into your account at the end of every month. That really gets us going.

P.S. The perk in counting "Procrastinate" one by one, was to counter check the grammar and spelling of this post. I've been getting reviews that I should spell check and proof read at least once before I post. (-_-)

5. ...that "Good things take time" is the mantra we use?

A distorted version of "Good things come to those who wait". This phrase lauds the virtue of patience you will find in a man, who keeps on doing what he does, irrespective of the result. This is equally applicable to a hard working man, as also to someone, who procrastintes (is too lazy to get off his ass). 

Missed deadlines, physical hardships, broken relations and what not can never break our spirit to continue to be in our state of rest. All those things might scare us at first, they might drive us mad, but in the end, we'll look it in the eyes and say, "Meh!!"



********

By the way, I may be procrastinator. I may continually keep breaking my promises. But please do give me credit where I'm due.

Some four months back, I was crazy enough to suggest that I would blog about "5 things" every week. Given my track record, it shouldn't have gone beyond two weeks tops. But somehow or the other, I'm compelled by some unknown force to make these posts. That force provides me the inspiration, the topics, the sentences, and the words. I am merely its instrument.

Or maybe, my multiple personalities might have held a meeting and arrived at the decision that this blog doesn't come under the purview of the Procrastinator in me.

Either way, it is nothing short of a miracle. This series rolls on. And I hope to be able to keep entertaining you with this.


[There, I did it]

Good things come to those who wait, right?

Well, wait for me till next week then.

Have a great Weekend!!!

04-08-2013... UPDATE - The fan was fixed by yours truly. I think that'll be enough to prop up my professional ego for a few months.

No comments :

Post a Comment