Friday, July 12, 2013

5 things I learned this week (Part 15)

I got nothing to complain about this week.

Nothing. Nada. Nil. Zilch. *all these words mean Zero.

There wasn't anything (ridiculously) wrong with the work this week; I got good food through out; there are no new diseases to pester me; after two months of stuttering and breakdowns, my bike has finally started running smoothly; the summer showers were late, but they finally arrived this week to ease the heat - so I can't even complain about the weather. Like I said, during this particular week, nothing has happened for me to complain about.

This has lead to an uncomfortable consuquence. I don't have anything to moan about in the blog post for this week. Maybe those among you, who are adept at picking up patterns, have noticed it long before. But I noticed it recently only that, almost always, I start a blogpost in this series with a complaint. And over the course of four months, what was meant to be conversation starter has become the conversation.

I typed in, and then deleted, about four different topics before settling in to this one. I couldn't find a coherent string of words to continue the topics I had started because they weren't necessarily complaints. So, in order to have a post, I decided to complain about the fact that I've nothing to complain about. Such is my state now. :-/

I don't know who we can blame for this. A week, like a day, can be like a week you have had before. Life is after all a repetition of history. And this repetition makes everything look blunt. We don't have anything to be amused about, we don't have anything to be concerned for; we look at the events unravelling around us, and say "Meh!". We just don't care about it, cos it fails to dial up the interest levels in us.

But then, something happens. A faint rumour, a new info, a funny incident - something which spikes up our interest. And for this blunt week, I am going to try and give you five such surprises.

Did you know...

1. ... that there is a word to describe the smell of rain on dry earth?

Now who amongst us haven't felt good on smelling "that" frangance, which fills the air when the summer rains reach the earth. And they have coined a word to describe the same. "Petrichor" is defined as "the distinctive scent which accompanies the first rain after a long warm dry spell". Now, you know what to say when you smell this heavenly scent. ;)

2. ... that there is a famous West Indian cricketer from the past, who is of Indian origin?

I'm not talking about anyone in the current crop of players. Now we have a South African playing cricket for England, Polish and Turkish footballers playing international games for Germany, and what not.

The person I'm talking about is a double World Cup winner (1975 and 1979); is considered to be one of the best exponents of ODI cricket; and was adjudged to be only behind Sir Don Bradman and Sachin Tendulkar among the All time greats in Test Cricket.


Remember to have your face in that expression as you read the next line.

The cricketer I was talking about was Sir Isaac Vivian Alexander Richards, known affectionately as Viv Richards, and he is a Malayali.

The "Alexander" in his name belongs to his grandfather, Mr. Alexander 'Tintu' Richards, who migrated to West Indies and settled there. (again thanks to Rakesh for bringing this cricket related info to our attention.)

So, the next time I meet Sir Viv, I'll say "Enthokkae unde vishesham?"
*"So what's going on with you" in Malayalam. 

3. ... that, in the standard set of playing cards, the Kings are called Caesar, David, Alexander and Charles??

And this is not some random naming. They are taken from history or mythology.



4. ... that someone found a new way to get a gal's phone number??

If you are an average specimen of the male kind, you know how hard it is to get a gal's phone number.

But fear not anymore, for a friend has devised a new way to do the same.

*if you are a gal, please skip the next line; Guys, make the next line by heart.

Give her your number and ask her to add you in Whatsapp. ;)

5. ... that there are some pessimistic people in this world, who can never be happy??

You all must be having that one friend who is suspicious of anything good happening to them. The ones, who are so afraid of bad things happening to them, that they forget to enjoy the moment. Well, they have a condition called "Cherophobia". This is the second combination of Greek words that we come across here today, and it means "fear of happiness."

P.S. I've Cherophobia.

On that bright note, let me take your leave.

That's all folks!!!
Have a great weekend!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment