Friday, July 5, 2013

5 things I learned this week (Part 14)

Normal people categorize their working days into three - good, neutral, bad.

Well, I on the other hand have just two - crappy day & "well, it looks like everyone here has food poisoning" day.

I hope you have enough grey cells up top to know which kind of day I just had.

I would have normally gone on a rant about why, who, what, how and all, but I'm being restrained by whatever is left of my sanity. (based on the reasoning that this is the only job I've now)

Sorry, but this is not how I wanted to start off today's post. I had an entirely different and, if I might take the liberty to say so, a super-awesome blog typed in. But that will have to wait for another day to see the outside world. For now, you are stuck with bad-mood-hari.

Yes, you just saw me refer to myself in third person. I do that. A lot. It's not like there's any law in this land which forbids me to do so. I refer to myself in third person whenever I don't feel normal. So, there's weird-hari, there's hyper-hari, there's bad-mood-hari. There's also sexy-hari, but we don't him to be here right now.

This trait of mine, where I use self-referral in third person, can be categorized as multiple personality disorder. Just over the past one week, I've had more than four people I mingle with on a daily basis, say to me that they think someone else writes this blog. According to them, my personality and my blog's personality doesn't match. Some even said that my blog personality is cool, compared to my real one. (even though I prefer not to believe them)

I hadn't given a thought to whether I act different around here, but once I did, I found that here, I do do a lot of things that I normally don't.

For example, I don't normally use the words "ass" or "sexy" in my vocal vocabulary, but they have made their presence felt in the posts in this blog.

I don't necessarily talk a lot, but I do here.

I don't use, in a week, the amount of English that I use here in a post.

You get the idea na.

This outburst, this this this... I had read of a word for this thing that I do, where I turn my mind inside out in words. I'll let you know if I find it again. Anyways, as I was saying, this thing, this conversation that we just did here has purged my mind of the pains I had today. Thank you.. ;)

Anyways, it's nearly 7pm. I'm to get off from work in 10 minutes. Then I've to take my bike for service(yet again). I'll get back to you after I get home.

......................
................
..........
......
..
.

Well, what took you a few  seconds to scroll through took me an entire hour and half. Just back home, and I'm already in front of the internet again. You know why? Not only because I'm a net freak, but I've to do this week's post, and I still haven't got the "5 things" for this week.

Luckily, a journey which involved a bike ride, then a shared auto ride, then a metro ride and an auto ride at the end gave me enough time to think about what to say. So, here we go.

Did you know...

1. ... that "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is a grammatically correct sentence in American English?

It's true only in American English, cos one of the buffalo in there is a place called Buffalo in America. To know why, how and more sentences like this, go to this wiki page.

2. ... that Mr.Dhoni has only the 'Ashes' series to win, among the major competitions in Cricket?

Obviously, he can't win that. But still it's a pretty good notion to keep in mind.


By the way, if you thought that the ashes series was called so because somebody burned the ashes into a urn, then you are partially wrong. Before that event took place, a mock obituary appeared in the British press, which said that English cricket has died, and after the cremation, the Australian team will be leaving with the 'ashes'. That name stuck when the English press hailed it's heroes for bringing back the ashes the next time.

Here's the link to the wiki page. Hat tip to Rakesh for this clarification.

3. ... that I know that you might not know what 'Hat tip' means?

Don't take this the wrong way. I'm not gloating that I've very good vocab. There's a difference between showing off and teaching, and I always try to keep myself to the teaching side of it. What I talk about in a day depends on the things I learned/found out that day. This is a word I came across today, and here's the explanation of this word, 'Hat tip'.

4. ... that I was kept really busy this week cos of work and other things?

Sorry, but I don't have any more points for now. I'm not a literary expert to churn out prose every week. I've my limitations. But I'll point you towards something I had written earlier this week, 'Aise na mujhe tum dekho', wherein I pay tribute to a musical genius.
5. ... that just cos you have a car loan to pay back doesn't mean that I've to stay for overtime?

I think I can get away with saying just that much. ;)


........................

Well, that's all folks!!

Have a great weekend!!!

2 comments :

  1. I guess you'd agree if I disagree with the above. You are one of the coolest, original chettans I've known. It just happens that everyone perceives differently from the another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that... and I hope you understand my predicament from the following pic..

      https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/q71/1012821_573606252682115_1902425438_n.jpg

      Delete