Friday, July 19, 2013

5 things for this week (Part 16)

If you ride a bike or a car, even occasionally, you would be familiar with the feeling of frustration at being in the front of the line at a red light. It's one thing to get stuck for 100 odd seconds in the middle of the traffic, and an entirely different scene to be at the front of it, knowing that even a short burst of speed earlier, would have saved you that much time.

Normally, not much thought is given to what you would do with a hundred seconds so saved, other than spend it at another red light. But that doesn't stop us from trying to get across that short stretch at full speed, lest we rue the missed opportunity.

So, on my way to office today morning, as I turned a corner onto the last red light on my route, I saw that I had about 6 seconds, plus pause time, to get across some 300 odd meters. Normally, I would have got through, but a certain Esteem was hell bent on making it difficult for me. He manoeuvred left and right, and right and left, before I could free myself from him, but by then, he had made sure that I was left at the front of the queue.

That hundred odd seconds that I spent there made sure that I got to see a really beautiful gal going in a rickshaw at the next junction, as well as, making sure that I arrived at the gate of my office at the exact moment when the cleaner was coming out with the broom. An inauspicious start, if any.

I was late by one minute; there was talk of the increment letter being handed out today - they didn't; the work I was doing for submitting on Monday, had to be restarted cos revised input was received from Korea; I spilled coffee on the jeans I washed yesterday; and more.

Even though I could easily blame getting stuck in that traffic light for all this, I don't. Because of two reasons...

a. I am a 'destiny-ist'. Whatever is meant to happen, will happen. I can't change it. Even if I could make myself not get stuck there, I'm pretty sure that this is how it would have all ended up.

b. I've seen the Malayalam Movie 'Traffic'. The guy who tries to jump the traffic light like this doesn't end up in that good a position to my liking (dead).

You would be thinking as to why this little incident is such a big thing to me. It's because I was forgetting the reason number two (go ahead, laugh at that).

Now, the memory of this incident will remain with me, for a short time at least, reminding me that there’s nothing to be gained by pitching your skills against traffic lights. Every memory teaches you something. The best lessons in life are taught and kept alive by memories.

And this week, we will be going through, what I consider to be, my top five memories.

Did you know..

1. …that pain is necessary in the pursuit of happiness?

This is with respect to me getting my job at GS during the final year at college. As if the continuous heartbreaks I received from various corporate entities weren’t enough, my friend (who was the Placement Coordinator) decided to let me know of the good news that I got into GS, by leaving his hand impression across my backbone.

The pain from it was quickly forgotten though, not because of the glad news I had just received, but thanks to the series of slaps, kicks and hits I received as a mark of congratulations from my other friends.

P.S. I wasn't laughing like this maniac.

2. …that change is going to happen no matter what, and that you are gonna end up liking it?

You see your grandmother presented with a white towel bundle. You then continue to peek inside that bundle to see something reminiscent of the human species. You are then told that this is your brother and that you have to take care of him.

That must have been the first major change in my life, because this is the earliest thing I can remember about it. It has been nearly two decades since, but as I look back upon it now, it was all for the best.

3. …that you should be happy that you are here?

The time is towards the end of October 2011, and the place is Auli, near Badrinath. Yeah, the same area which was recently flooded. Six guys had travelled through and around mountains to reach a lonely campsite. There were sightings of a bear in the past few days in that area; the food that they bought with them was scarce; there wasn’t enough firewood to last the night; the cold winter winds were bellowing against them; basically, it was a bad idea.

But at 9pm that night, after eating whatever we had, and after lulling our campfire to sleep with some select songs, we lay on the uneven ground looking up at the sky. That’s when I saw, till date, the most beautiful sight I’ve ever seen.

I’ve heard/read/seen in pictures about the beauty of the uninhibited night sky. They say that the countless stars make your head swoon. They write that the light coming from therein overwhelms you. They show that this is a place you must visit before your last breath. The sight that lay before me was all that and more.

And then, rising above the worries that I had for my life, was a feeling of happiness of being there.


P.S. In case you are hard of sight, this is the next day morning.


4. ...that bad things happen to you, even if you did no wrong?

More importantly, did you know that I was privy to the first conceptual model of the Nano?

This happened when I first came to the Capital city of India in 2000. Had I known then that I would spend so much time here in the future, I wouldn't have gone out to see the city in that January cold; but I did. After covering Qutub Minar, and just after bidding goodbye to the Red Fort, as we were making our way to the Lotus Temple, the Tata Sumo we were travelling in was involved in an accident.

Not our fault, but the guy in front, cruising at around 60 kmph, decided that he wanted to check his brakes for full stopping at that speed. What happened was that we bumped into him; the Maruti 800 behind us crashed into ours; and the bus behind that car crashed into it. And as soon as the that happened, the guy in front, left the scene as soon as he could.

Fortunately, no one was hurt. I was sitting at the back of the Sumo, and should have been more concerned for myself, but I felt bad for the guy driving the 800. That car was brand new - it still had it's temporary number plate - and it was crushed from both sides. I can always crack a joke, saying that it looked like a Nano, but it was a cruel example of a recurring phenomenon - bad things happen can anyone, anytime.

5. ...that change comes from within?

This is from my current favourite saying, which was in turn taken up from this pic.



I think I'll just leave you with that. I've been writing more on that one saying for the past three weeks. Hopefully, I'll post it on Monday.

Well, that's all for this week folks.

Have a great Weekend!!!

***

In line with the fact that the "5 things" I'm sharing with you weekly, wasn't necessarily learned that week, I was hoping to change the title for this series to "5 things for this week". Having got enough positive feedback for that idea, we'll be filing the posts in the series in that name from now on.

Once again, thanks for the feedback and the clicks. Keep them coming.

Cheerio!!

No comments :

Post a Comment