Saturday, February 3, 2024

3 Random Things - Week 11

Memories.

Memories serve us and remind us in a lost of ways - as bookmarks, as lessons, as expectations, as forecasts - shining through as ready of hope in despair, or bringing us to ground when the heart wants to fly high.

Now, it's time for the tricky question. Does happy memories make you sad? Does sad memories make you happy? Nope? Just me? Very well then. I can atleast express the theory behind my viewpoint here.

If you are feeling sad, you can reminiscence sadder memories from your past to make your present seem bearable. If you are of the quirky kind, who wants to search for sadness even when you have reason to be happy, bring forth to the center stage of your kind the happiest memory you have. Nothing will hold up against it.

For this week, we have three random memories.

***

1. 5 star fraud

The year is 2015. Both of them grew up in typical middle class family framework. As a newly married couple, they decided to splurge some cash, and have dinner at Marriott one day. Both of them looked splendid in their new apparel as they made their way from their car to the reception. The dinner was uneventful. At the end came the bill.

If you are a fan of old Malayalam movies like me, think of "See Maggi, I'm paying the bill" scene, or the Vishu scene from Kabooliwala.

I repeat. The year is 2015. The commonly.accepted payment methods were cash or card. Universally accepted mobile payment methods were yet to enter the market. Her dress didn't have any pockets, he forgot to take his wallet.

Thankfully, the staff were courteous and mindful of.our predicament. They let me go back home, and come back with my card. Just me, mind you. Not the perfect date night.

P.S. If.you open my phone case, you will find a Rs.500 note. Now you know why.

2. I'm coming home

Grand gestures were never my thing. I tend to believe that my strength lies in the subtle art of chori-ing. A little bit of misdirection and a lot of over complication.

Dec 5th, 2012. I called my mother from Gurgaon and told her that I'm having a fever, and that I'm going to sleep. Two minutes later, I was sitting in the aisle seat trying to get a glimpse of the cute airhostess, as we were preparing for takeoff on our flight to Trivandrum.

A surprise visit on the eve of their 25th wedding anniversary was my gift.

3. Numbers

This past week was pretty eventful numberwise for me. I've this vestigial function hardwired in my brain to sum up the numbers of all number plates I see on the road. Once used as a hack to pass time while traveling, this programs runs on auto mode these days, throwing up alerts only on hitting specific predetermined conditions.

This week was the first time I saw two random vehicles, having their registration numbers from the same number series, and within 100 difference of each other. It was KL 70 G 71xx and KL 70 G 72xx. The xx is for data security, because I'm trying to protect the identity of the owner of the vehicles, and not because I forgot the numbers.

I also happened to see a double reverse. A KL 64 and a KL 71 registration being closely followed on the road by a KL 46 and a KL 17.

Lucky me.

***

So, that's all for this week then.
Have a great weekend!!
'til next week.

No comments :

Post a Comment