Saturday, December 16, 2023

3 Things I forced myself to learn - Week 4

I haven't mixed writing with my job till date.

A natural tendency to over elaborate, an innate need to explain things like you are talking to a three year old, and always writing, while thinking of oneself as defending themselves in a court of law makes me a very "not-so-good" writer at work. If there ever was a word limit on the notes that I am asked to put up, I would hit a writer's block of epic proportions.

In short, I have mixed my job with writing to not so good reviews.

***

I was thinking of all the things that I have brought to my work, from outside what you would think is the normal purview of a Banker - Maths and Finance.

During the short period of four years of earning an  engineering degree, I had tried my hands at organizing events, entry level robotics, a couple of on-stage "performances", multiple "on-screen" videos (which the people of today might call a really long TikTok video) and much more. And you would be amazed at what all skills I learned then have been put to use when I reached the Bank.

***

1. Video editing

My video creation and editing skills were put to use. I'm not gonna explain for what and when. I'll explain how.

Pay Rs.499 per year to get full subscription to InShot app. The layout and controls are pretty simple to use. The key, as my friend taught in college, is finding the right music, and making sure that you do something on-screen to the tune of the beats.


2. Powerpoint

It's a trade secret. So I'll (try to) keep this to as many less words as possible.

Using powerpoint, timed custom animation, matching slide switching and loop-through slide music, you can save a PPT as mp4 to make a semi-decent video.

3. Teaching

Something I just love doing (I'm still regretting not taking my grandfather's advice to take up teaching). From last minute sessions before entering the exam halls in schools to trying to honour the name of group study during college, teaching is something I love doing.

I never thought I would teach when I joined the Bank. But that's where I found myself at the begining of demonetisation - going around the city, teaching people the various digital methods of financial transactions.

Then when the Bank launched a brand new online platform, I was able to train the staff on its features. Due to time constraints, we had to cover everyone in our region in one day. And so, I ended up doing eight one hour sessions on the same day. And it was one of the happiest days in my work life.

***

Going back to the first line, I haven't mixed writing with my job till date. Well, not in a serious manner. There was this post some five years ago


Recently, someone asked me where the second part was. And I sheepishly said "in the drafts". I'm thinking of seriously mixing writing with my work. Your thoughts?

***

So, that's all for this week then.
Have a great weekend!!
'til next week.

No comments :

Post a Comment