Sunday, September 16, 2018

Event-ful week (5/52)

Event One

One evening during the past week, I happened to climb abroad this contraption, which would elevate me to my destination nine stories up on that building. Confined along with me, at that time, in that three-by-three space, where a family of three, including a teenage girl. They were the original occupants, with me intruding upon their familial space.

To say that I stunk would be an understatement. In turn, this made the matter of our elevation a very unpleasant one. As the door was closing on their hind sides, two floors before I had to leave, I could see their torsos swelling with a fresh batch of decent air.

The reason for my foul odour was the brisk thirty minutes walk I took, just before climbing on to the contraption. I was dropped at Edappally Junction after a meeting, and I chose to walk to my place. I eschewed the option of taking a bus, or the more urban habit of hailing an Uber, as suggested by my wifey, who has made Uber travel a routine.

***

Event Two

So after around a decade of dilemma, my parents have finally booked a Honda City. Going to sleep with a decision to book the car, only to wake up with a decision to delay the execution of the previous one was a recurring theme at home. With the car now booked, the question of where to apply for loan was quickly finalized. (SBI, of course!!!). Hearing this, a banker friend of mine, suggested that her bank had an offer for people booking Toyota Cars. When I asked her why this piece of information was relevant, she asked, "Isn't City a Toyota car?".

My palm could not have hit my face any faster.

***

Event Three
How much time does it take to repair a punctured Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350? Around 3 hours.

Around 12pm, I leave home, pushing my fallen beast of 200kg. Over the next sixty minutes, I was turned away by three different puncture fixers saying that they have no idea how to remove the tyre from the vehicle. Eventually, I was pointed in the direction of the Enfield factory workshop.

At the workshop, they say they would  be happy to remove the tyre for me - but for a charge, and that they can't fix the puncture. I would have to take the disembodied wheel to the puncture repair shop, get it fixed, and bring it back - so that these people can help it take its rightful place.

That's how we got the answer as three hours.

***

Event Four

I went through the stuff I've written over the years here. Turns out that like always, the self-depreciating sense of humour in me was the winner for the most read post of "Ormayundo?". So what do I do about that? I went ahead and shared that link again. And WHOA!!! Did I just do that again?? :D

***

Event Five

To end today's session, let me recount something which happened just today morning.

We were on our weekly pilgrimage to the Mall of Lulu, Edappally, and were entering the shrine from the less used second entrance. Ammu was on the seat next to the driver. As soon as the car made the turn into that entrance, she said what has said multiple times to the Uber drivers, "Why are you taking the car in from here? You could have dropped us at the main entrance."

All I could do was look to my left - and stare at her - in disbelief.

No comments :

Post a Comment