Wednesday, September 11, 2013

...and another one fades away...

I've lost quite a few friends to external factors in the past year.. I lost one to his girlfriend, I lost one to marriage, I lost another to a government job, etc etc.. Right now, one is going to follow his dreams and the another one is off to Germany for higher studies..

If I were a musician, the rate at which I'm losing friends might have compelled me to write a song about friendship..

If I were the harisa of five years ago, he would have made a video with a sad song and group photos..

But this is the harisa of now.. And he can only write about it..

If you have watched enough movie award nights, and had paid attention to more than just the length of that actress's dress, you must be familiar with the concept of the "Special jury award". That award is given to that movie which was better than the rest, but not good enough to be the best.. A runner up, if you would like to call it so..

I try to be a friend like that.. You can't be the best friend of anyone you meet, but you can be a better friend to anyone.. It is to that end that I always strive for.. But that is not to say that I am irreplaceable to them or they are irreplaceable to me...

In these days of degenerating decencies, aided ably by the drive of egoistic individuals to excel at all costs, the fibers of friendships in the corporate world are made out of needs rather than goodwill. And the relationship stays non-sour as long as the needs of the two entities match.

I know I run the risk of looking like a douche bag for my rather objective way of analyzing the act of friendship. But please refrain from taking that view on my opinion. What I intent to put across to you is that the beginning of most friendship are based on needs. The need to find a roof over your head, the need to go out for a movie, the need to play a game of FIFA on your laptop, the need to cook something delicious, the need to have a good time, etc etc.

Such needs bring together strangers, and their combined experience determine if they remain so, or become friends. Every friend I've made have been made like this. And I'm pretty sure that if you are willing to look at it from a different perspective, you'll find that you've done the same too.

But when such a friend moves away, you will definitely wallow in sorrow for a time, and then realize that you can always make a new friend. That is one ugly truth in life. You are replacing the time you spent with your old friend with your new one. So, when I said that no one is irreplaceable, I meant that you will be replacing the time spent with the old friend, with the time spent with the new friend.

So what about the old friend? He/she was an integral part of you for a certain period of time, and you are always thankful to them for the changes they bought about in you. They might have left your immediate neighborhood, but you'll always try to keep in touch. And you would always be willing to welcome back.

In the end, the purport of this whole post is that, I'm saying my goodbyes and best wishes to a few more friends who'll be leaving my company for pastures anew. And, like any one of you, I'm on the lookout for a new friend, to whom I can be a better friend.

2 comments :

  1. We might have been brought together by chance, it's true. But very bright vivid memories remain, roaming under city lights, lazy afternoons, goofing around like teenage boys... What made those moments worthwhile, was the gang and unconditional ties. I miss you all. I'm sure anyone would find it hard to forget you, Harisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too, even though being six foot one helps a lot.. ;)

      And, like you said, the gang and the unconditional ties make the times spent here amazing. And I'm pretty sure that if fate brings us all together in a flat like this again, no matter how far in the future, we'll have a jolly good time like before..

      Delete